A web designer is in charge of designing the layout, visual experience and making a website attractive for visitors. So, basically, if you are an artist who is naturally looking for visual solutions to design problems and if you enjoy doing web development, then a career in web designing can be the correct choice for you.
So, there are a few steps that will help you to become a web designer:
- Develop the necessary skills:
To set off as a web designer, you need to be well versed in all the technical aspects of creating a website. The most important skills needed to become a web designer are as follows:
- Graphic software: Web designers need to deal with many types of programs like photoshop to take care of the graphics of a website. Knowledge of these aspects can be of great help.
- Search engine optimisation: Even a little knowledge about search engine optimisation can help web designers create unique websites. So, for instance, when a user searches for certain keywords, they would easily reach there and can also help increase the number of visits (also known as Organic Traffic).
- Web design theory: There are certain functionalities when designing a website that makes it more attractive. These include structure, user experience, and so on.
- Communication skills: To understand a client’s needs and wants correctly, a web designer needs to have excellent communication skills.
Some people earn a college degree to pursue web designing, such as a bachelor's degree in technology or graphic designing itself. Many web designers prefer strengthening their skill set by themselves. Moreover, several online courses available on multiple learning platforms today can help you sharpen the skill set for becoming a web developer.
- Create your website:
If you have the required skills, you can create your website. This can showcase your skills, and your potential clients can get an idea about your profile, portfolio, or abilities. And also, they can connect to you easily.
- Search for jobs:
To start as a web designer or pursue a career, start applying for related profiles to gain experience and refine your skills, which will help you find more clients. You can always search for jobs online or work as a freelancer on any platform.
- Build your identity:
When you start engaging clients, building websites, and polishing your skills, it is best to keep updating your portfolio to add to your experience and abilities.
Roles suitable for web designers
Today, there are multiple types of roles available for a web designer, such as:
- Front-end Developer: They execute visual effects that users can easily understand and access on a website.
- Back-end Developer: By collaborating with the work of front-end developers, they also take the responsibility of server-side web application logic.
- Web Application Developer: A web application developer is more into web designing, modifying, coding, layout, and so on and works according to the needs of the clients.
- Design and layout analysts: They stay updated about the new layouts, edit designs, format pages, etc.
- Senior Web Analyst: They maintain or create solutions through advanced technologies.
- Web Marketing Analyst: Maintain the connection with the clients, execute and develop web analysis, advertise, collect or add data, and look after search engine optimization.
Pros of a Becoming Web Designer
- Web Designers can work on many platforms as a freelancer. Their work remains flexible, with the freedom to work according to their convenience. They can continue to improve their skills in the process and earn comfortably.
- In today’s world, web designing is a good career as we are aware that more and more firms are turning their major focus in doing their business online to get more customers or clients.
- The opportunities are not limited to IT industries only. Web designers can explore multiple sectors that cater to their interests and gain experience.
- This is a desk job, and one must spend long hours sitting in front of the computer. If not managed properly, it might take a toll on your health.
- Web designing is a competitive field as many people are choosing this lucrative career option.
- It is sometimes tough to know whether you are making a difference or not. For instance, a social worker would be able to know that he is helping many families. But, in web development or web designing, you do not know whether you are making a positive change or not.
Web designing is worth it as a career option as long as you are genuinely interested in it. You can work in a creative field instead of working on the same code again and again like programmers or developers. Identify your interests, start working on your skills, and soon, you will be able to make a name in this field.