Object storage is a new choice for data storage today, optimized for unstructured data, such as multimedia. It has gained instant and immense recognition with the colossal growth of video, audio, and images on the web, brought about by social networks and media growth.
What is object storage?
It is a data storage architecture to cache and access colossal volumes of unstructured data in a scalable and cost-efficient manner. Organizations regardless of their size deploy this architecture because of the benefits it offers.
How does it work?
Often, users think storage is a hierarchy of files and directories. However, it’s a more complex phenomenon.
Conventional storage devices like a hard drive, pen drive, or CD stores data directly by using block storage format. This format breaks data into fixed-sized blocks and stores them in a suitable place. Upon requesting data, the architecture reassembles the blocks to restore data to its original format.
Block storage is a highly efficient model for conventional storage media because the system reads and writes data in a fixed-sized chunk. However, this system architecture consumes several minutes to break down the data into blocks and reassemble them. Subsequently, when the storage capacity of the disk increases to store massive, unstructured data from local data centers and the cloud, managing and tracking locations of all blocks on the disk gets cumbersome.
E2E Cloud to the rescue!
With seamless storage of data and quick reassembly and recall of datasets, E2E Object storage is the latest architecture to use. Objects are stored on the cloud in a “flat” hierarchy, i.e. with no directories or folders for consistent data access at lower time-frames.
Today, in Object Storage environments, S3-compatible object storage is preferred over other models. In this architecture, a data file is stored as a single object. An identifier (hash function) is used for obtaining the file’s location. Thus, it eliminates the need for complex, hierarchical architecture. Subsequently, this object storage model allows the homogeneous scaling of massive data sets.
Ease of use: An HTTP URL and a unique ID are attached to each object, which is publicly accessible. Read and write operations for data are simple, and hence, users can directly perform these functions on their web browsers with assistance from representational state transfer (REST) methodology, without the need to access server control applications.
Scalability: Unlike traditional storage methods (tables, files), the E2E Cloud storage architecture doesn’t increase with growth in data complexity. Hence, this model is easily scalable across storage devices that quickly expand limitlessly.
Agility: Database or system administrators must constantly monitor and maintain complex databases and files. Now, with the object storage model, application developers can easily modify and enhance the application without depending on assistance from professionals. Hence, this new storage architecture offers the freedom to develop valuable applications seamlessly.
Seamless integration with legacy storage devices: Object storage with its new features complements the legacy storage methods – databases and file systems. Hence, users enjoy a seamless and powerful storage system.
Cost-efficient: With transparent hybrid architecture, organizations can discover low-cost and high-performance hardware that integrates with their existing data centers, private or public cloud, protected by a firewall.
- Object storage on E2E Cloud has replaced the old backup solutions of physical tapes and libraries. Subsequently, this new storage model has significantly reduced the logistics of maintaining the integrity of physical data storage devices (tapes, hard drives, etc.) and the cost of transportation to other locations.
- With built-in self-management and fault tolerance features, the object storage solution is a highly preferred backup model today. It easily integrates and plugs into existing storage devices.
- Since E2E Cloud storage efficiently manages unstructured data, it serves as the backend for social media platforms and websites as they contain videos, images, HTML documents, photos and text files.
- AI workloads and HPC can efficiently utilize this new data storage architecture as data is singularly cached and rarely accessed. Subsequently, backups, log files and database dumps that contain colossal data files (images, text, videos, scientific data, engineering models, etc.) can seamlessly scale at a low cost and reduced storage administrative efficiency.
- Since E2E Cloud storage architecture on multiple servers can be combined to build a solitary object storage cluster, it can be horizontally and infinitely scaled by accumulating new servers distributed across multiple locations. Hence, this architecture is highly valuable for supporting back-up, server and application requirements.
With the E2E Cloud object storage architecture, enterprises can efficiently store colossal data sets, reduce the cost of existing and new backup solutions, and seamlessly integrate data on their legacy storage architecture including owned data centers or public cloud, or both.
For a free trial:-https://bit.ly/freetrialcloud