MS SQL Express edition is the entry-level, free database and is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server data-driven applications. It is the best choice for independent software vendors, developers, and hobbyists building client applications. If you need more advanced database features, SQL Server Express can be seamlessly upgraded to other higher-end versions of SQL Server. SQL Server Express LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all of its programmability features, runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and a shortlist of prerequisites.
This article will guide you on how to perform a new SQL Server 2019 Express Edition installation on a Windows host using the Installation Wizard.
MS SQL Server 2019 Express Edition can be downloaded from the below mentioned web link
The following are some recommendations before installing SQL Server 2019:
1. Windows Server 2016/19 with latest patch levels should be installed prior to Installation or Windows host should be installed with the latest windows update.
2. SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is recommended.
3. Installing SQL Server 2019 express requires .NET Framework 4.6 be installed. You can check before the install but it will check and install it automatically if needed. If you are using Windows Server 2012 R2, update KB2919355 is required before installing the framework.
4. It is not supported to install SQL Server 2019 Express Edition through the Terminal Services client.
Step-by-step procedure to install SQL Server 2019 Express Edition
- Navigate to downloaded “SQL2019-SSEI-Expr.exe” file and double click on it for installation and choose your installation type
Note : You can stick with Basic unless you have custom options and location you’d like to set.
SQL Server 2019 Express Edition Installation Type :-
1. Basic Type will install default packages by downloading from the internet. In this blog we will use this installation type.
2. Custom Type provides customization features of MS SQL 2019 Express where we can install extra features of MS SQL or remote some default features.
3. Download Media Type will only download setup files from the internet and do not start the installation. This can be useful if we do not have an internet connection and install MS SQL on your machine later.
3. Accept the license agreement
4. Choose a default Install Location or other Install Location then you can select Install
5. Completed Successfully! From here you can Connect to the server immediately, or Customize the installation, and Install SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS).
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) installation
1. You can click on Install SSMS or download SSMS via below mentioned web link
SSMS Download Link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-ver15
2. Click on Download SSMS and save it.
3. After Download SSMS .exe file, click on it and Install it.
4. After the finish installation, Restart server.
5. Finally SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is installed on your Server.
How to connect MS SQL 2019 Express Edition to SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
1. Click on Windows Home and search “SQL Server Management Studio” and click to start SSMS
2. Click on connect to connect your MS SQL 2019 Express Database via Windows Authentication
3. From here, You can Manage your MS SQL Database.