Gone in 7 seconds! Millennials value efficiency and speed more than service

Did you know millennials value efficiency and speed more than service? This is especially interesting as the current customer service model is geared more towards service than speed. Companies are going to have to adapt to these changes as millennials have become a large share of the market. When it comes to a webpage, everyone wants it to load very fast.

Bounce Rate

The percentage of visitors on a particular website who navigate away from the site after viewing only one page. The average bounce rate for pages loading within 2 seconds is 9%​. As soon as the page load time surpasses 3 seconds, the bounce rate soars, to 38% ​by the time it hits 5 seconds. If your page takes around 7 seconds to load there is high chance you will lose more than half (53%) your customers.

Many factors affect bounce rate. It can be traced back to poor page performance (science aspect) or even poor page content (art aspect).

Let us discuss the Science Side of bounce rate!

2 Seconds is the industry benchmark for a page to load. According to Google, 2 Seconds is the limit that most of your visitors are willing to wait for your page to load. As the average web page size is growing day by day, the 2 second load time might vary, but you should strive to load your page ASAP!

First impression is the best impression. You will never get a second chance at making a first impression. Your website’s speed acts as a first impression of your company. Fast websites are considered to be professional and reliable. It affects your SEO ranking.

Server​

Server place a critical role in your WEBSITE speed. The server response depends on traffic, page size, software and hosting solution. You need to look into each bottleneck to improve your website speed. The optimal response time is under 200ms.

The response time depends primarily on three components:

  • The time it takes for web page request to propagate through the network to the web server
  • The time it takes for the web server to process the request and generate the response
  • The time it takes for the response to propagate back through the network to your browser.

The request and response depends on physical distance and number of hops between server and user. The server and user should ideally be within a close vicinity. So make sure your web server is in your country or continent.

If you are targeting Indian users, you should explore E2E Networks​ for your Cloud Computing solutions.

Author:  Kesava Reddy